ST. AUDOEN’S Dublin, Parish Registers

St Audeon's Dublin







The parish registers are in a fully searchable format and the transcriptions cover:
Funeral entries 1595-1660   |   Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1636-1755

Most of the ancient historical and genealogical records of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) were destroyed by fire at the Dublin Public Record Office in the 1920s. Very few records survived.

In 1886-7 the records of St Audoen’s were transcribed and published in the “Irish Builder” over a period.

St Audoen’s Church of the parish of Saint Audoen in the Church of Ireland, located south of the River Liffey at Cornmarket in Dublin, Ireland. This was close to the centre of the medieval city. The parish is in the Diocese of Dublin and Glendalough. St Audoen’s is the oldest parish church in Dublin and still used as such. The church is named after St Ouen (or Audoen) of Rouen (Normandy), a saint who lived in the seventh century and was dedicated to him by the Anglo-Normans, who arrived in Dublin after 1172. It was erected in 1190, possibly on the site of an older church dedicated to St. Columcille, dating to the seventh century.

St Audoen’s parish was once the wealthiest within the city and the church was for hundreds of years frequented on State occasions by the Lord Mayor and Corporation. In its heyday, the church was closely connected with the Guilds of the city and “was accounted the best in Dublin for the greater number of Aldermen and Worships of the city living in the Parish” (Richard Stanihurst, 1568). The Tanners’ Guild was located in the tower and the Bakers’ Guild (Saint Anne’s Guild) in a “college” adjoining the church.

[ Wikipedia ]